Pages

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

A Bit of This and That..

Hey everyone.. 
So glad you dropped by here today.. 
This is just another a bit of this and that kind of post.. 
One of these days I will surprise you with a post that has more focus ... Not all over the place.. smile.. 

Anyway..
We are still having winter weather here in the Maritimes of Canada.. Some snow and rain or whatever but Winter has lost it's sting for sure.. 
You can smell Spring in the air and the grip of cold seems to be gone.. 
But there is still snow and fires have to be made and a bit of bread whenever it calls our name.. smile.. 

My friend gave me this recipe the other day... 
Potato Bread.. 
I will share the recipe with you as she is generous in giving out her recipes.. 

It is lovely and light.. 

F. Steeves Potato Bread or Rolls.. 

Boil 1 large potato in water.. 
Drain off 1 cup of water and cool a bit.. 
Mash the potato very well.. 

In a bowl put the cooled 1 cup water 
3 T. sugar
2 tsp. instant yeast
5 T. melted butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 mashed potato
2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups of flour.. 

Mix well. 
Knead in your machine or by hand until smooth.. 
Place in oiled bowl and raise to double. 
Put in pan or make into rolls and raise again.. 
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes for rolls or 30 - 35 minutes for loaf of bread.. 


Out of our Living room window the other day.. 
A wet snowy day.. 
So typical of our March weather.. 

Trying to use up our preserved food... 

Homemade Chili Sauce, green beans, pickles and rhubarb jam... 

I finally got the bookshelves cleaned and organised for another year.. 

A few cookbooks.. 
Found this one.. 
The Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden .. 


Really enjoy the recipes and the garden ideas.. 
Decided to make some Farmer's Cheese.. 

I saw the idea on MasterChef Australia..
This is one of my favourite cooking shows and just record them to watch when I can.. 
Anyway.. 
One of the contestants made the cheese.. 
Put whole milk in a pot and bring to a boil.. 
Pour in a bit of vinegar and the milk will separate into curds and whey.. 
Drain the curds from the whey in a cheesecloth lined strainer.. 
Wrap up the cheesecloth into a ball and store in fridge overnite. 
In the morning you will have a lovely ball of soft cheese.. 
Be sure to save the whey for bread, sauerkraut for fermented veggies.. 
I made a spread with it from the recipe above.. 
Very good with Creamery Crackers or on Bagels.. 
Kind of like cream cheese  or cottage cheese. 
Nice sprinkled over a salad, too. 

More books.. 

Loving my new mug.. 
Oh and thanks to Lindsay who inspired me to try my hand at
 Pad Thai.. 
We both really liked it.. 
With the buying a bottle of Pad Thai sauce making it much easier to make.. 
This was a Shrimp one.. I so love shrimp.. 
Do you? 

Terry and I took a nice little trip to Bangor, Maine over the weekend.. 

Dear old Charlie came with us and as usual he was a perfect dog.. 

I think he could live in the back of the car.. smile

We just took his car bed into the inn and he was good as gold..
Or so I thought.. 
The next morning Terry said that neither him or Charlie got much sleep.. 
Huhhh???? 
I slept like a log .. 
I guess Charlie was not relaxed and kept getting up and walking around the room.  That made Terry nervous so he moved the dog's bed beside us so he could pet his head every time Charles wanted to walk around.. 
He claims he petted his head for two hours.. yawn!.... 
Oh well.. one of us had a good sleep.. grin.. 

We had a great time.. 
Shopping.. 
Thrift stores and the lovely Between Friends shop.. 
It has the same stock as I tried to have in the House of Henry.. 
Crafts, old books, old dishes, new household decor, lace and linens and so much more..
Only on a much bigger scale.. So lovely..  
I bought an old blue lamp for the farm for 5 dollars,  an old 1974 Unicef Calendar with recipes for 2 dollars, a minature Daisy Churn which was new for 15 dollars and an old rabbit hook for 10 dollars.. 
I will take pics, I promise..

Here are some books I found at Good Will...
and
Some fabric pieces from there, too.. 
The Waverley ones are from Walmart.. 
Hope to make something with them.. 

Then of course the eating out.. 
Had a lovely anniversary dinner at Ruby Tuesdays as it is one of the places we always love.. 
They had the best dessert I have ever ate.. 
Apple Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch sauce.. 
We only stayed one night .. 

That is always enough for us.. 
Two days and one night and then homeward bound.. 
I know.. I am pathetic ..... 
People just don't understand that I am not a traveller.. 
Love seeing this sign.. smile.. 

It is hard to believe that it has been 48 years since this night.. 

Just a couple of kids who found their way to this place in our lives.. 

Still holding the same old hand and still trusting my heart to his.. 
Still thanking God for the lovely days we have had together and the sweet family we share.. 
Life is what you make it and putting our hope and trust in the Lord Jesus has blessed us beyond measure.. 

So happy to have you visit and look forward to hearing from you sweet friends.. 
I also wanted to thank you dear girls who share my post on FB.. 
It really helps.. 

Take care... 
Hugs..

12 comments:

  1. I love your 'this and that ' posts, Faye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary, Faye! 48 years together is amazing! My Mister and I celebrated out 21st on March 20! I am always excited to be blessed with another year with my guy!

    Grace & Peace,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so beautiful. It all looks so yummy and lovely. I need to know your favourite spots in Bangor! Haven't been to US in so long, hubby doesn't want to go with Trump there :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful trip. So glad you took the dog, we always do too. And, as much fun as it is to explore, it's always better to come home. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post! Happy anniversary to you and your love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy anniversary Faye. I didn't realise Masterchef was on in Canada. I never watch it as we have lots of cooking shows on TV here and I can't stand seeing the pressure the cooks put on themselves. Glad you enjoy it though. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your piece about Charlie prowling the room made me laugh remembering an incident some years ago. My husband and I went to Devon for a few days break staying at a lovely farm B and B. They allowed dogs to go and sleep in kennels in the stables. Our two Labradors apparently howled all night and kept everyone awake except us - we slept like logs! The next day the owner asked if we would please have the dogs in our bedroom - we snugged up with the dogs beside the bed and everyone slept.
    Happy Anniversary to you and Terry and Happy Easter when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice trip and good finds at thrift store. Happy 48th Anniversary to you and Terry! We're finally warming up here in Oregon. Bought 2 plants yesterday and need to working on my patio to make looking more springtime-is! Have a blessed Resurrection Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary! Sounds like a wonderful trip. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just catching up so a belated Happy Anniversary, wishing you many more happy years together. Sounds like a great trip with some wonderful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Saturday evening to you Faye!
    I enjoyed your post today - always a joy!
    I love seeing the recipes you try and they always look so delicious. I have never had Pad Thai but it looks very healthy.
    And oh, your sweet fur baby Charlie...he looks so serene there in the car riding along.
    Well Ms. Faye - I hope I make it back here again soon. Been gone from blogging so much this past year or so - and I don't really know why. I see many have dropped doing them but I hope I'm not one of them.
    And I too am wishing you a belated Happy Anniversary.
    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Dear Faye!
    I love your random posts, they are beautiful and encouraging. I have not seen that Moosewood cookbook, will look for it now as I have two others and have often checked the children's version from our library. I also have a few of Maryjane Butter"s books and subscribe to her magazine which you would really enjoy. Let me know if you can"t find it and I will send you one. It's called Maryjane's Farm.
    Happy Anniversary! We celebrate our 30 year anniversary this September. To God be the glory!
    Sending all my love to you,
    Marybeth

    ReplyDelete